Monday, April 04, 2011

long time, no blog

 This blog is going to be a bit "random"... I haven't been as good lately about taking pictures!!
So, here's a brief view of some of my daily life stuff:

This is the corner where I wait every Saturday morning at 8AM to be picked up by a woman in my Institute class. From here it takes about 15 minutes to get to class, we're usually there well before the 8:30 AM start time. (This is about 2 blocks from our apartment... it used to take me 5 minutes to walk, with 18 extra pounds it's taking closer to 10!)

After my Bible Institute class on Saturday mornings I head out to our prenatal class in the north end of the city. I usually have an extra half hour before Bill arrives to meet me... this has been my weekly tradition! (I sometimes ask for Decaf, but I think what I really get instead is lactose-free milk =D.) Bill shows up at 11AM for our 2 hour class... only one more to go!

I walked home through our "barrio" from a bridal shower at our church last Saturday and found this curious - it isn't the norm, but it isn't surprising! This must be a new hole-in-the-wall restaurant, advertising their food with music. The guy in the street is dancing! They were pretty loud and though didn't have many people here, most people within 4 blocks were paying attention... Saturday afternoon is a busy day in the barrio - with most corner stores hosting groups of 4-10 men sitting outside drinking beer!

This is the fruit and vege store I like to shop at. It is much cheaper than the regular supermarket and is more like a farmers' market, so the quality can actually be a lot better (although it doesn't always look as pretty!)

Sometimes we crave food items that aren't available here... some of them I have figured out how to make, for example - English Muffins:
& Pita bread (not pictured) with hummus: (fyi - Pita bread can be bought here, but I like to make my own, it's pretty easy!)

Church life has been ticking along... I've been working closely with this woman, Maria Teresa. Together we have been discipling a younger woman for the past 6 months. We have one session left next Saturday. My other "girls" have been a little harder to meet with lately - their work and study schedules don't leave them with much free time.

On Sunday mornings I often hang out with the greeting team (not always these girls) - we use nametags to help us remember each other, it is especially helpful when there are new or visiting people, both for them and for us! Currently we have about 230 adults who regularly come, but usually about 150 at a time! One of my roles at church is to maintain a directory and prayer list, so I find that hanging out here and greeting people as they arrive helps me know who is who and who to include.

Life for me these past few months has been all about classes, home keeping, church and BABY stuff. And I think that order of priority is about to be turned upside down! Here we are at 7.5 months, only 6 weeks to go!

I really enjoyed "attending" a baby shower for us in California... via Skype! Some women from our home church met at my mother's house and I joined them online. I know I will enjoy all their generous gifts eventually, but what was mostly special for me was to see them and talk to them... it almost felt like I was there. (My sister has also been hosting a different type of virtual shower... my family has had to be creative with us living all over the place!!)

PS: Our weather this year. More days like this than not! Rainy season seems to be never-ending this year. On days like this one I miss my mountain view!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Angela and Bill, Thank you for your e-mail and this blog. I enjoyed studying its content. Bless you as a busy and useful member of the church. I am so glad that you are coping with your involvement in church, study, teaching and family. I do pray for your welfare and the coming baby, that you will do full term and be blessed with this precious little one. Keep trusting and look up, He is coming again. Maranatha. Bob Jackson

    ReplyDelete